Canna-Cocoa: Hot Chocolate for Grown-Ups!
Warm your belly while invigorating your mind and body with the twist on the classic hot cocoa recipe you enjoyed as a kid. Relax at home or be the life of the party with your thermos full of chocolate-y cannabis goodness!
One of my favorite winter memories from childhood was drinking hot chocolate when the temperature dropped. As an adult, the nostalgia I get from this cold-weather treat can be combined with the relaxation I get from infusing cannabis into the mix. Check out below to see how I make mine delicious!
Whether you like to sit around the house in your pj’s or hang outside by the firepit, the common denominator is wanting to sip something warm and relax. You get the best of both worlds when you can get your cocoa fix and get as toasted as a marshmallow.
We’ll go over how to get your cannabis flower ready to put in your cocoa mix, some flavor variations on the recipe, and the best ways to serve this treat. You can also make the infused cocoa mix and add it to a jar or bag with some marshmallows for a unique and fun holiday gift.
Make sure you decarb your cannabis flower to get things rolling! If you want to up your game, take it a step further and use your decarbed flower to infuse the milk in the recipe for consistent results, and a more delicious and smooth taste.
GET YOUR CANNABIS FLOWER READY FOR EDIBLES
- Find one of the many great videos or guides online to learn about the various ways to Decarboxylate your cannabis flower that fits your needs and abilities.
- Grind that decarbed cannabis flower until it’s about as powdery as kief.
- Mix that ground cannabis flower into your recipe!
MAKE YOUR OWN CANNABIS INFUSED MILK
- Use an online edible dosage calculator to determine the desired strength of your infusion.
- Put a saucepan on low heat and add the high-fat milk or milk-substitute and the decarbed cannabis flower.
- Use a thermometer to help you get to 165°F and simmer for about 30 min, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the infusion through a strainer, like a coffee filter, and store in the refrigerator. I suggest writing the milk or milk-substitute expiration date on a piece of tape to indicate how long you have to enjoy your creation.
BEST INGREDIENTS FOR BEST RESULTS
Try this recipe with your go-to ingredient substitutes to make it dairy-free or vegan! Also, consider infusing your milk with your decarbed cannabis for better results.
Make sure to get unsweetened cocoa powder! White granulated sugar is standard, but feel free to use any type of sugar or sugar substitute.
Use any milk or milk substitute you desire. A higher fat content makes creamier cocoa!
WAIT… I NEED DISHES?
- 1 small saucepan
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 stove
- 1+ mug
THE RAW MATERIALS
- 1 cup milk or cannabis infused milk
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground, decarbed cannabis (omit if using infused milk)
MAKE COCOA MIX FOR LATER….
- Start by decarbing your cannabis flower
- Use a bowl to combine the ground cannabis flower, cocoa powder, and sugar.
- Whisk until everything is mixed evenly.
- Separate into bags for separate servings or add to a jar with a dosing card.
MAKE YOUR HOT COCOA RIGHT NOW!
- Put a saucepan on low heat.
- Add the milk, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla extract, and decarbed cannabis flower.
- Use a whisk to mix everything until it’s even and smooth.
- Bring the heat up slowly, stirring occasionally, until your brew is lightly steaming. But make sure it doesn’t come to a boil or it will curdle and essentially be ruined.
PICK YOUR MUG AND HOOK IT UP
Feel free to top off with whipped cream for some extra indulgence, toss on some mini marshmallows, or go wild and do both! I love to smash up a mini candy cane and pour it into my cup before I add the hot cocoa. Use another mini candy cane to garnish the side of the cup.
Also consider spicing up your cup with some extra add-ins like cinnamon, chai, chili powder, orange zest, pumpkin spice, coffee, or maple syrup…. The possibilities are endless!
There’s only one more step…..